Monday, July 13, 2009

Cute Wall Decor

I am soooo excited about Hijacking the blog this week!!!!!

My two older boys are off to a gymnastics camp Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm. That gives me 16 hours of crafting with just my crawling baby:)

So, I thought I'd start by finishing up a project that I started way back in May.
I went to a quilt store in St. George and saw this cute quilt that had layers of circles on it. I loved it!!! In fact it's on my list for a new bedspread in my room (my list is long). Anyway, I had some super cute fat quarters that matched the colors of my 1/2 bathroom. So I thought I'd do the same thing and then mod podge them onto wood squares.
My husband and I can't quite get up the ambition to do a lot of painting in our house so our walls are just light tan. This gave some great color to my bathroom. Here's a close up pic of one of the squares so you can see what I did.
I'm sorry I don't have a step by step tutorial with pictures, but I can kind of tell you what I did.
1. I traced out three different sizes of circles using one of my scrapbooking circle cutters.
2. I cut out squares just under the size of my wood.
3. I used Heat-n-bond to iron on the circles to each other and iron the circles onto the square.
4. I then sewed a straight stitch around the outsides of all of my fabric so it wouldn't fray too much.
5. The hard part.... I had to cut off tons of strings and any of the fraying fabric.
6. I cut out my wood.... 9" squares (or rather had the Lowe's people cut it out)
7. I stained the wood.
8. I mod podged the fabric onto the squares.
9. I had my husband hang them on the wall!!!

5 comments:

Logan and Sydney said...

I've been trying to figure out something I can do in my bathroom to make my adorable rug match something (anything really) in there. I think I'm going to try this, only I might use scrapbook paper.

The York's said...

I love it:) I need ideas for a new girls room and that would be way cute!!! I might have to also use paper since I don't have a sewing machine!

Lucashell said...

SO Cute... You are so creative. I went and looked today and you were featured on 2 blogs SO awesome. I want a towel bag, I wonder if I bought the towel if you would make me one...

Unknown said...

Those are adorable, I am totally going to have try these! Thanks for the post!

Lib-Dawg said...

Shellie - You have a sewing machine...I'm positive you can sew it together. Anisa - I love this, was it not in your bathroom, or did you put it up after we left! I SO AM GOING TO DO THIS!!!!