Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Applique Tutorial

A few months ago our 1 craft 3 ways was applique.

I thought that it would be appropriate to do a tutorial on exactly how to do an applique.

1. Make a pattern of what you want to applique. I am going to applique a tie on my little boy's shirt. I just hand drew the tie, but you could trace an actual tie. 2. Trace the pattern onto an iron on product such as Heat-n-bond. 3. Place the Heat-n-bond onto the wrong side of the fabric. 4. Cut the heat-n-bond and the fabric down to a size that is a little bigger than your pattern. Then iron the heat n bond onto the fabric according to package directions. 5. Cut your pattern out and peel the paper backing off. 6. Iron the applique onto whatever you are attaching it to according to package directions.
7. Now comes the fun part. You need to sew around the edges to keep them from fraying. There are several ways to do this. You could use embroidery floss and do it by hand. I chose to use my sewing machine and do a zig zag stitch. 8 Sew all the way around and you are done! I had bought this shirt on clearance at Old Navy for 97cents. It was kind of plain and I wanted to dress it up a bit. I wasn't sure if my 5 year old would like it or not. When I showed it to him he absolutely loved it! I think he will look so adorable in this with some tan pants. It totally looks like a grandpa tie.

2 comments:

Cami said...

This is so adorable!

I love my chair!

Lib-Dawg said...

Love it...could grownups get away with shirts like that????