Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Be Mine" Valentine Blocks

Traditionally Wednesdays here at Twiddle Thumbs are reserved for a seasonal and/or holiday craft. Well folks, it's January. Not much going on. I'm not big into snowflakes and snowmen (unless I'm using the former to make the latter). What else do you make? The big holiday of the month happens on the first. I opted to start our Valentine projects a little bit early with my "Be Mine" blocks, and I'm very happy with the final results. Here are the supplies:

1. Wooden blocks (mine were 2 x 3)

2. Scrapbook paper

3. Paper trimmer

4. Corner rounder-optional

5. Paint

6. Sand paper

7. Modge podge

8. Letter stickers or stamps

9. Embellishments

Here's the how-to (but don't worry they are super easy):

1. Paint your blocks on all sides.

2. Trim your paper, 1/4 inch smaller (all the way around) then your block

3. Round your corners if you want

4. **Modge Podge one side of your block.

5. Lay a paper on and modge podge again over top the paper. Push bubbles out starting from the center working your way out.

6. **If you are using stamps, stamp your letters on the paper before modge podge-ing. Otherwise continue: Put your sticker or vinyl letters on the block.

7. For an antiqued look go ahead and sand the block edges now.

8. Modge Podge over letters.

9. Add embellishments if you want them.

10. Display on a shelf! You're done!!

Here's my final result:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally cute!
I love the crisp modern look.

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

those are really cute! I made some bigger blocks and modge podged pictures on them with scrap paper. It was fun and quick to do! i think I'll try your be mine blocks! Thanks for the idea!

Auntie ANut said...

These turned out so cute. I am going to make some myself if i get a few minutes before the holiday. i can't believe that you just whipped these up. thanks for sharing.
sorry for leaving so many posts in one day but i just figured out (remembered) my password, (on accident). Yes i am old an crazy now. love ya

Sherilyn said...

Love this! It is so cute. What a great project for Young Women