Friday, April 10, 2009

Novelty Easter Earrings

I felt like being a bit silly about the Easter holiday so I decided it would be fun to make a pair of carrot earrings to wear during our Saturday egg hunting celebration.
(This photo isn't the best. My camera was stolen Wednesday night.)
I conditioned a lump of orange oven-bake clay, divided into two identical egg shapes, put a tiny streak of yellow in them and gently rolled them into a carrot shape. I lightly scored the outside to imitate the outside texture of a carrot with a paper piercing tool. I used that same tool to form a deep hole at the top of the carrot for the greenery.
To make the green carrot top I took a small bit of clay and rolled it into a tube. I sliced it down the middle, length-wise, stopping half-way down. I pressed those halves flat with the same Super Slicer I used to slice the clay. I crudely tore away the edges of the flattened clay which imitated the lacy carrot greenery. Then I inserted the unsliced portion of the tube and placed inside the hole at the top of the carrot. I added a looped pin into the carrot and added a hook earring piece to that.
There you go! Silly earrings that only a crafter could love.
--C

2 comments:

Mika said...

Great to see what your doing on your blog. Mika (www.mikascrap.typepad.com)

Mindy Walz said...

Nice article! I think so many people could use to read this. You should look at posting it on Wacanai.com(http://www.wacanai.com/intro). They have really good searching capabilities and you can link your page to their website. It's really easy to find similar articles and they have graphs so you can track how many people are reading and using your info.