Saturday, November 6, 2010

Easiest Valance Ever!

Last night I whipped up a set of valances for our living room windows! They are sooo fast and easy that I thought I'd do a quick tutorial....
1. Measure your window width. Mine was 63"
2. Cut your fabric 2" wider to account for a 1" seam allowance on each side. I typically like my valance to drop 18". You will need to double the amount of fabric for the drop. So, basically I cut my fabric 65" wide x 36" tall.
So, here is my fabric all cut. I drew a little diagram on the picture. Basically, you will hem the sides first, then put the fabric right sides together and sew it into a tube. Turn it right side out and iron it. You will loop the tube over your rod. Then take two pieces of ribbon. I like mine to be 15" long. So, I cut them 30" and sewed the ends together. then slip them over the rod and slide them into place. It's as simple as that!
If you have any questions, leave a comment and I'd love to answer any questions for you.
-Anisa
(P.S. Sydney... we need to make some for your new house now!)

5 comments:

The York's said...

Love them!!! I need to learn to sew and invest in a sewing machine!

Logan and Sydney said...

My thoughts exactly:)

Thayne and Jenny said...

I usually shy away from anything that involves sewing, but I'm thinking I want to try this in my house! SO cute! AND it doesn't look to complicated :)...

Cami said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

I came across the top picture on Google images-- I love this valance and am totally making them today for my living room. Think I will use strips of fabric instead of ribbon since that is what I have on hand. Thanks for the clever idea! -Sarah M.