Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Playroom Project

For the past two weeks I have been busily working on my kids' playroom. I wanted it to be fun and whimsical, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. One of my main goals was to have a place to display my kids' artwork. I had thought of several different ideas, but none of them really seemed right. Until a couple of weeks ago when I was at my sister-in-law's house. She had a strip of wood painted red with white clips on it. It clicked!!!- That was what I wanted to put in the playroom. So I went to Lowe's and bought some pine that was 1"x4"x48". Then I painted it black. Then the hunt began for the clips. I tried Lowe's, Robert's Crafts, Walmart, etc. I could not find them. Finally someone told me that they would be an office supply product (duh!). So, I headed to Office Max. For your information, they are called Bulldog Clips. Office Max had these really cute colorful ones. They came in packages of Red/Blue or Green/Yellow. Well, I was making 4 boards, so I needed 16 clips. The Office Max that I went to had only one package of Red/Blue and tons of green/yellow. So, I headed off to another Office Max. Luckily they had tons of Red/Blue. After a whole lot of running around, I finally got my boards put together. My sweet husband screwed the clips on and hung the boards on the wall for me. Part 2 of my project was to paint these circles on the wall. I love to browse Pottery Barn magazines for decorating ideas. Whether or not I can afford to buy anything from there, I still love their ideas. And a lot of times, I can do it myself. I loved the idea of painting circles on the wall. So, I made myself a compass. I took a piece of string and push pinned it into the wall. Then I tied a pencil on the other end. And voila!- a circle. It was rather difficult to paint 3 circles in such bright colors, but 4 coats later, I love the finished look. I also loved this clock from Pottery Barn. But, once again, it was too expensive. So, I found a clock at my local craft store- Robert's Crafts. With my 40% off coupon, it was under $20. I used my Cricut to cut out the vinyl numbers for the clock (the clock came with some, but I did not like them). And here is my finished product. Part 3 of my project was to put alphabet letters on the wall above my clipboards. I used my Cricut to cut out vinyl letters in varrying sizes and fonts. It was really fun and I love the finished look. Posted by: Anisa

5 comments:

Little Birdie Secrets said...

What a great play room. The boards turned out fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Kari Sweeten said...

Those art boards look great!!

seven thirty three said...

I am making the same type of art board! I have it painted... I just haven't found a clip yet - I'll have to look for those!

And I am SOOOO stealing your vinyl letter idea - LOVE THAT! I don't have my Cricut yet (shhh - it's a christmas present), but as soon as I get it that will be a top project!

I am now following you.

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

I love that idea! I've been looking for a project for my daughters artwork now that she has become painting obsessed!

Anonymous said...

LOVE all your ideas. Looks like I am a little behind as your posted this years ago. However, my first baby is now in Kindergarten and I wanted to find something I could hang his work from because my refrigerator, too, was too full! One question...how did you attach the vinyl letters to the wall? Do vinyl letters already have an adhesive? Thanks ahead of time!